Wednesday, February 27, 2013

St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands

On the cruise we stopped at St.Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  It was a beautiful island.
 
Christopher Columbus landed on the island in 1493 and he named it Santa Cruz. It also used to be owned by the Dutch to grow sugar cane. It was a place that pirates used to go to. We got a taxi. It was a cool taxi because we sat outside in the taxi.  Our drivers name was 10-10.
 
We went to Magens Bay which is a beach. It is known as one of the nicest beaches in the world.  I went swimming and I built a sand castle and a moat that I could go in.
 
There are about 50 000 people who live on the island.  Their main language is English and they buy things with the U.S. dollar.  It is kind of strange because they drive on the left side of the road.  They are 1 hour ahead of us because they are so far east of where we live.  I really liked all the great views I saw when I was on the island.
 
At night we had a pirates night because of all the pirates that used to be in this area.
 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew,

    I went to that beach in St.Thomas too. I had never seen water that colour of blue. There were dolphins swimming there when we were there, but too far out for us to swim with them.

    It sounds like you are having a great trip! I see that Flat Stanley is having fun too. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mathew its mackenzie. i cant wait until the 18 when you come back.i markt it on my calinder. the shark is vary neat.is the shark dead or alive.my dance teacher toat our class 3 times. from; mackenzie.






    ReplyDelete